Do you love movies? Then you won’t want to miss out on the Borrego Springs Film Festival, happening on January 15-19!
In 1920 the pioneering filmmaker and actress, Nell Shipman, launched a new era for Borrego Springs, California, with her film, Something New, and things have never been the same! Tom Hanks’ From the Earth to the Moon (episode 10), PBS’ Kingdom of David, Fox’s X-Files, Paramount, MGM, Universal, RKO and Castle Rock have all found the perfect setting in our desert. Silent films, comedies, science fiction, war and westerns, independent and major studios all have found their special place in Borrego Springs. The site has hosted some interesting folks from Nell Shipman’s fearless but silent heroines, to the lost young man in Into The Wild, to vampires and alien creatures, to Richard Burton and Janet Jackson. It’s never dull here! Borrego Springs and the Anza-Borrego desert have provided strange, stark and amazing locations for nearly a century of films and filmmakers. Come, be a part of the next 100 years of film making in Borrego Springs.
Thursday Jan. 15
- 5:00 PM: Opening Night – Borrego Springs Performing Arts Center & de Anza Country Club
Friday – January 16
- 9:30 AM: From the Heart: Hana – From Eva with Love – The Better Half – My Heart (75 min)
- 11:15 AM: Latino Shorts: La Marea – El Corredor (60 min)
- 1:45 PM: On The Edge: Past Impulse – The Debt – Jordan’s Jackhammer (80 min)
- 3:35 PM: If-Then Scenario (90 min)
- 6:45 PM: Friday Trio: If You Love Your Children – Luftschloss – Somebody’s Mother (75 min)
- 8:30 PM: Middle East Showcase: Sharia – Sky Is Not Empty! – Not Anymore: A Story of Revolution (90 min)
Saturday – January 17
- 9:00 AM: Animation: The Collector, Junk Girl, Big Bag, Treasure Nest, Une Balade a la Mer,Colors (60 min)
- 10:30 AM: Table 47 (115 min)
- 1:30 PM: Sons of Africa (75 min)
- 3:15 PM: Lighten Up: Moppet – Tides – Stories of Alyx and Anton – A Boy’s Prayer – Alien Communiations (85 min)
- 5:10 PM: Taking My Parents to Burning Man (100 min)
- 7:00 PM: Saturday Night Party: Borrego Springs Resort
Sunday Jan. 18
- 10:30 AM: Some You Love: The HPV Epidemic (100 min)
- 1:30 PM: Kaptara (110 min)
- 3:50 PM: Fragmented (105 min)
- 7:05 PM: Furthest From the Wild (88 min)
Monday Jan. 19
- 9:00 AM: Panel: The Filmmaker’s World (90 min)
- 10:45 AM: Scarred Lands and Wounded Lives (85 min)
- 12:45 PM: It’s All Local: Sin Fronteras – Long Distance – The LEGend of Peg LEG’s LEG (115 min)
- 3:30 PM: Awards Ceremony: La Casa del Zorro
Click here for ticket prices and information.
The Borrego Springs Film Festival’s goal is to provide a viable venue for independent filmmakers to display their work, and to encourage interaction between the artists and the viewing audience while exploring the complex world of filmmaking.
The festival continues the Hollywood connection between Borrego Springs and filmmakers that has existed since 1920. Members of the Hollywood community have made this area their home, a film location, and a backdrop to promote products from cars to fashion. Borrego Springs is both film friendly and close to the Los Angeles/Hollywood market. We are willing and able to make film making easier and more successful here in Borrego Springs, California.
Borrego Springs Film Festival is brought to you by the Borrego Festivals Foundation, in conjunction with its founding organization, the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce.