With Art San Diego as the centerpiece, visitors can also enjoy a diverse section of our citywide arts and cultural events that will include museum exhibitions, gallery openings, installations, public art, music, theatre and dance performances, and special dining, transportation and hotel opportunities for residents as well as international cultural visitors.
Since its inception in 2009 ART SAN DIEGO has featured specially curated programs featuring select non-profits and institutions with site-specific projects, art talks and panel discussions, a selection of dynamic and cutting-edge film, video and new media works, and a curated selection of emerging and spotlight artists.
Thursday, November 6
- 7:00 to 9:00 PM: Art San Diego 2014: VIP Opening Night. One of San Diego’s best attended cultural events. The 2014 Edition will feature over 60 local and international exhibitors. Be the first to preview and purchase works. Hosted beverages and hors d’ouevres catered by Giuseppe’s Fine Catering. Benefiting the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego.
Friday, November 7, 2014
- 12:00 to 8:00 PM: Open Fair Day
- 4:00 to 4:45 pm: Art Talk – “Collecting the Latin American Masters”
- 5:00 to 6:00 PM: Art Talk – “View Points: Collecting Contemporary Latin American Art”
- 7:00 to 7:30 PM: Tour – Art Spot International. We are thrilled to announce that ART SAN DIEGO will be hosting ArtSpot International Art Fair—a show within a show—this year! ArtSpot International Art Fair is a stand-alone event hosted this year in San Diego inside the ART SAN DIEGO Contemporary Art Show. The show is replicating a model introduced to the Miami art community last year, and will present carefully selected modern, contemporary and cutting-edge galleries with a strong Latin-American emphasis.
- 7:30 to 8:30 PM: Art Lab – A Reason to Survive featuring the ARTS Youth Jazz Band. A Reason To Survive (ARTS) is a nationally recognized non-profit organization known for its creative youth and community development work. Community-based, youth-engaged Creative Place-Making has become a cornerstone of their work in helping to create positive change and transformation in their students and the communities they live in.
ARTS will turn the SD ART space into a creative enclave for artists and attendees to kick-back, relax and engage in creative endeavors through art and music. Made entirely of up-cycled and recycled materials, furniture, and equipment, the space will harken to many “Pop-Up Pocket Parks” appearing around urban landscapes in cities across the nation.
Attendees will be able to participate in a collective work of art over the entire weekend, listen to youth jazz, or take the liberty to create or play music on their own.
Saturday, November 8
- 12:00 to 8:00 PM: Open Fair Day
- 1:00 to 1:45 PM: Arts Talk/Demo – Iris Scott featuring Fingerpainting. Finger painting is now fine art at the hands of New York based artist Iris Scott. Using her fingertips to strike multiple colors at a time she is like a pianist that understands piano is not to be played one note at a time. Iris Scott was classically trained in Florence, Italy and earned her BFA from Washington State University in 2006. Iris began oil finger painting in 2009 when she left the States to live a year in Taiwan. By a stroke of lucky laziness one afternoon when it was too hot outside, Iris opted not to pause on her painting to go clean brushes. It was in this moment the technique was discovered. A few swipes of paint with her fingertips and Iris found a new impressionistic style. She has not used a brush since, and has enjoyed painting full time since 2010. Iris is represented by Adelman Fine Art in San Diego.
- 6:00 to 8:00 PM: The Vault: Contemporary Art & Fine Wine
- 6:00 to 8:00 PM: Silent Disco
Sunday, November 9
- 12:00 to 5:00 PM: Open Fair Day
- 12:00 to 3:00 PM: Art Lab – A Reason to Survive featuring the ARTS Collaborative Project for Kids
The stage for ART SAN DIEGO 2014 is Balboa Park, a 1,200-acre cultural and recreational oasis in the heart of San Diego – the largest such urban park in America. Balboa Park features a wide variety of museums, exhibitions, performing arts, world-famous gardens, recreational facilities, restaurants, and other attractions that serve over 12 million visitors annually. ART SAN DIEGO 2014 aims to insert itself as a key actor in this production, nurturing and strengthening San Diego’s art scene with a dynamic agenda.
Balboa Park Activity Center, 2145 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92101.
ART SAN DIEGO is committed to supporting and showcasing emerging and promising artists. We take risks; we enjoy surprises. We love to spot talent and introduce them to new audiences.